Ghats spruced up for Chhath Puja in Bihar
Patna: Authorities on Monday stepped up efforts to spruce up the ghats and ensure adequate security on the banks of rivers and ponds where lakhs of devotees are expected to turn up for performing the Chhath Puja (prayers to sun god) for the next two days.
The four-day Chhath festival began in Bihar yesterday with lakhs of devotees taking holy dip in ponds and rivers before taking traditional meal on the day of `Nahay-Khay` (ritual bath to purify and eat traditional meal).
Today is `Kharna` symbolising cooking of kheer for distribution among relatives and neighbours.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has also invited guests for `prasadas` this evening as some of his close relatives too are performing Chhath puja at his one Anne Marg official residence.
RJD supremo Lalu Prasad and his wife Rabri Devi are performing Puja in Delhi this time.
"We are leaving no stone unturned to spruce up the ghats along the Ganga river," Patna District Magistrate SK Singh said.
Authorities have made elaborate security arrangements for the festival as also on the ghats, officials said.
Garbage and sewerage are being cleared from roadsides leading to the Ganga ghats and the beautification work is almost complete, officials said.
Patna Municipal Corporation (PMC) has engaged a machine to do the earthwork for a motorable pathway to the ghat some two kms away from here.
Several motorboats are being engaged to patrol the ghats tomorrow for the protection of devotees. Help of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has also been sought for the purpose.
Several stalls have come up alongside the roads leading to the ghats to guide the devotees and provide drinking water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17