Ghats spruced up for Chhath Puja in Bihar
Patna: Authorities on Monday stepped up efforts to spruce up the ghats and ensure adequate security on the banks of rivers and ponds where lakhs of devotees are expected to turn up for performing the Chhath Puja (prayers to sun god) for the next two days.
The four-day Chhath festival began in Bihar yesterday with lakhs of devotees taking holy dip in ponds and rivers before taking traditional meal on the day of `Nahay-Khay` (ritual bath to purify and eat traditional meal).
Today is `Kharna` symbolising cooking of kheer for distribution among relatives and neighbours.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has also invited guests for `prasadas` this evening as some of his close relatives too are performing Chhath puja at his one Anne Marg official residence.
RJD supremo Lalu Prasad and his wife Rabri Devi are performing Puja in Delhi this time.
"We are leaving no stone unturned to spruce up the ghats along the Ganga river," Patna District Magistrate SK Singh said.
Authorities have made elaborate security arrangements for the festival as also on the ghats, officials said.
Garbage and sewerage are being cleared from roadsides leading to the Ganga ghats and the beautification work is almost complete, officials said.
Patna Municipal Corporation (PMC) has engaged a machine to do the earthwork for a motorable pathway to the ghat some two kms away from here.
Several motorboats are being engaged to patrol the ghats tomorrow for the protection of devotees. Help of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has also been sought for the purpose.
Several stalls have come up alongside the roads leading to the ghats to guide the devotees and provide drinking water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan