Girl escapes rape bid in Patna, JDU MLC asks women not to take lifts
Zee News Bureau
Patna: After a girl from Jabalpur escaped rape bid in the Bihar capital recently, JD(U) MLC Sanjay Singh`s statement that girls should refrain from taking lifts has caused much furore.
At a time when the Jitan Ram Manjhi-led JD(U) government has come under the scanner for rise in crime in the state, Singh`s statement has only added fuel to fire.
Singh however claimed to have been misquoted over the matter and said he had only asked “girls should not take lift from strangers.”
On Thursday, the girl belonging to Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) who is a student of a management institute in the capital, had taken lift from a person who tried to rape her.
She was rescued by locals who heard her cries for help and witnessed her being thrown off an Indigo car near Kankarbagh`s MIG Quarters.
Reports quoted witnesses as saying that the victim had gone for some work to Transport Nagar and asked for direction from the car driver who offered her a lift and then tried to outrage her modesty.
Her purse was snatched and she was thrown off the car in a semi-naked state.
The JD(U) leader`s statement has come under criticism from all quarters.
It has been reported that Patna has witnessed 31 murders, 70 abductions and 11 rapes in the month of May. In the same month last year, the capital has reported 28 murders, 60 kidnaps and seven rapes only.
With Agency Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!