Girl escapes rape bid in Patna, JDU MLC asks women not to take lifts
Zee News Bureau
Patna: After a girl from Jabalpur escaped rape bid in the Bihar capital recently, JD(U) MLC Sanjay Singh`s statement that girls should refrain from taking lifts has caused much furore.
At a time when the Jitan Ram Manjhi-led JD(U) government has come under the scanner for rise in crime in the state, Singh`s statement has only added fuel to fire.
Singh however claimed to have been misquoted over the matter and said he had only asked “girls should not take lift from strangers.”
On Thursday, the girl belonging to Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) who is a student of a management institute in the capital, had taken lift from a person who tried to rape her.
She was rescued by locals who heard her cries for help and witnessed her being thrown off an Indigo car near Kankarbagh`s MIG Quarters.
Reports quoted witnesses as saying that the victim had gone for some work to Transport Nagar and asked for direction from the car driver who offered her a lift and then tried to outrage her modesty.
Her purse was snatched and she was thrown off the car in a semi-naked state.
The JD(U) leader`s statement has come under criticism from all quarters.
It has been reported that Patna has witnessed 31 murders, 70 abductions and 11 rapes in the month of May. In the same month last year, the capital has reported 28 murders, 60 kidnaps and seven rapes only.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says