Give special treatment to Mahabodhi temple: Nitish
Patna: The Bihar government on Thursday requested the Union Home Minister to treat CISF security for Mahabodhi temple in Bodh Gaya as a special case.
"I will make a public appeal to the Centre to keep in mind the special position the Bodh Gaya temple holds and assist in maintaining high order security arrangements in the wake of serial blasts on Sunday," Chief Minister Nitish Kumar told reporters.
The request was made after Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said yesterday that the Centre would consider the request to provide CISF security cover to Mahabodhi temple and other prominent religious places in the wake of Sunday`s terror attack in Bodh Gaya.
"Though there are several religious places in the country, Bodh Gaya temple stands different from them," Kumar said.
The historic centre was a symbol of faith for Buddhists world-wide, who thronged the place in large numbers, he said adding that it was "our duty" to protect it.
The Chief Minister, through a letter to the Centre, had sought Central Industrial Security Force security cover for the Mahabodhi temple.
Shinde, who had paid a visit to the temple yesterday along with UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, was non-committal saying similar requests were pending for other religious places.
"The Bihar government said it would bear the expenses for the CISF security. Some time ago, Maharashtra government had also written to us to provide CISF security for Sai Baba temple in Shirdi for which the (Saibaba) Trust is ready to pay. We will have to examine it. We will have to examine the CISF Act also before taking any decision," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez