Governor asks VCs to function till further order
Patna: Six vice-chancellors and four pro-VCs, whose appointments were cancelled by Patna High Court recently, were Monday ordered to function on the position as interim arrangement of the respective universities.
Order to this effect was passed by Governor Devanand Kunwar through a notification issued here, Raj Bhawan sources said.
In a significant order, Patna High Court had on December 7 scrapped the appointment of six Vice-Chancellors and four Pro-Vice-Chancellors (Pro-VCs) in Bihar.
The VCs on whom the axe fell included VC of prestigious Patna University Shambhu Nath Singh.
The cancellation was ordered on the ground that the Governor, in his capacity as the Chancellor of the Universities, had made these appointments without consulting the state government as under section 10(2) of the Bihar State Universities Act, 1976 and the Patna University Act, 1976.
The court had directed the Chancellor to make a fresh list of candidates for appointment of the six VCs and four Pro-VCs within a week and asked the state government to make appointment against these posts within 30 days.
The HC order came on PIL filed by Janardan Singh and Ram Kamakhya Singh.
Besides Patna University VC, others whose appointment was cancelled by the HC included BRA University VC Vimal Kumar, Jai Prakash University VC Ramvinod Singh, BN Mandal University Arun Kumar, Mazhrul Haque Arabic and Persian University VC Md Samsuzoha and Kameshwar Singh Sanskrit University VC Arvind Kumar Pandey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!