Govt to set up sports academy in Bihar: Nitish
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday
said that a sports academy will be set up in Bihar on the
lines of the National Institute of Sports (NIS) at Patiala
for training of sports persons.
"It has been decided to set up a sports academy in the
state in the absence of one in Bihar where the sports persons
can hone their skills and compete with the best in the
country," he said at a sports award function here.
Kumar said that there was no shortage of talented
sports persons in Bihar and all that was required was
facilities for them where they can train and hone their
He said that the state government too would like the
sports persons from Bihar to excel in sports events at the
national and international levels and bring laurels to over
Observing that the annual sports award function was
held in an honour to the Hockey legend Dhyanchand, the Chief
Minister said that the state government was considering a
proposal to set up a hockey stadium at the Physical training
institute at Rajendra Nagar in the state capital.
The state government was in general committed for
promotion of sports for which infrastructure, including a
world-class stadium at Patna, was under construction and a
sports calendar has been unveiled to organize various sports
events on regular basis, he said.
Similarly, the state government has launched a slew of
incentives for the sportsmen, including provision for jobs to
successful sportspersons for which rules were framed in 2009
to give them employment, Kumar said, adding as many as 33
sportspersons were absorbed in government jobs last year.
The Chief Minister said that he had visited Ranchi
last year to encourage participants from Bihar at the national
games where he came to know that a number of sports have been
excluded from the job criteria in Bihar and added that the
rules in this regard were being revised to give employment
those sportspersons engaged in such events as well.
Kumar said that the state government will provide
government jobs to as many as 150 sports person next month for
which all formalities have been completed.
Kumar also felicitated Squadron leader Nirupama Pandey
for unfurling tricolour at the Mount Everest, Arjuna awardee
Subedar Rajesh Chaudhary for excellence in Yachting and
Subedar Chandrashekhar Kumar Chaudhary for winning silver
medal in shooting in the commonwealth games.
All these sportspersons hailed from Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP