Govt won`t stop illegal appointments of VCs grant
Patna: The Bihar government on Tuesday termed "serious and illegal" the issue related to appointment of Vice Chancellors and pro VCs by Governor "without consulting" the state government but refused to stop grant to universities on this count.
Answering a starred question in the state Legislative Assembly of Achutanand (BJP), Education minister PK Shahi said that the appointments were "illegal" and "against order of the Patna High Court."
He informed the House that the Supreme Court while hearing the case yesterday expressed "surprise" over appointments in "hurry" and posted the matter for two weeks.
The Chancellor of Universities had in February last reappointed six VCs including that of Patna University Shambhu Nath Singh inviting strong protest from the state government.
Shahi said that the state government was providing grant of about Rs 3000 crore to universities and has no plan to stop this in public interest.
The minister, however, said the department has decided to constitute a special audit cell by this month which will start monitoring the expenditure incurred by these universities from next financial year (2013-14) starting from April this year.
Shahi said the appointments ignored doubts of the state government over their qualifications and also legal proceedings against many of them.
He alleged that among the appointees, two including Vice Chancellor of Patna University Shambhu Nath Singh were facing vigilance probe while police inquiry is going against another in a case of cheating in examination.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has also recently vented anger against appointments of 8 VCs without "proper consultation with the state government."
The Patna High Court had in December last year quashed appointments of 8 VCs and 4 pro-VCs on the ground that it was done without "proper consultation" with the state government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way