Gujral`s landlord in Patna saddened over his death
Patna (Bihar): Former prime minister I K Gujral lived in Patna before being elected to the Rajya Sabha and his landlord`s family says they are saddened over his death on Friday.
Former RJD MLC Anwar Ahmed, the owner of the house at busy Sabzibagh here, told PTI on Saturday that he and his family members considered Gujral as their guardian.
Gujral lived in the house when he was elected to the Rajya Sabha in 1992. He later went on to assume the post of prime minister.
The former PM had converted a room in the house into his office and he used to meet locals and other visitors there. Gujral`s name plate used to hang at the same address.
Ahmad, known in local political circle as `Kabab mantri` as he used to provide delicious kabab to RJD chief Lalu Prasad when he was chief minister of Bihar, said whenever Gujral came to Patna he stayed at his house and his wife would cook for him.
"Gujral saheb was very punctual about the timing of breakfast and meals and was fond of mutton," he reminisced.
Gujral lived in the house when he contested the 1991 mid-term polls to the Lok Sabha from Patna on Janata Dal ticket on the request of Lalu Prasad. The poll, however, was countermanded due to reports of large-scale rigging. Prasad later sent him to Rajya Sabha in 1992 from Bihar.
Till the time Gujral was Rajya Sabha member his address was his home in Patna and letters used to come for him at the same address, he said.
Ahmad said his bond with Gujral continued later too and he had stayed at his (Gujral`s) house in Delhi many times when he was the prime minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read