HRD Ministry grants two central varsities to Bihar
New Delhi: Giving in to the demands of Bihar, the Union government has decided to set up a central university in Motihari in addition to the one proposed in Gaya, ending a prolonged slugfest over the issue.
"I have given the approval for establishment of a central university in Motihari and I am happy that the issue has been resolved," HRD Minister Kapil Sibal told reporters here on Friday.
HRD Ministry had decided to set up a central university in Gaya, arguing that it had good connectivity and enabling infrastructure.
However, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and other political parties had been insisting that the central university should be established in Motihari to end regional disparities, leading to a slugfest for months.
The Bihar Assembly even passed a resolution to demand the university in Motihari.
As a consequence of the decision, the Central Universities Act, 2009 would have to be amended to enable opening of two central universities in Bihar. The Act had a provision for setting two central universities in Jammu and Kashmir as a special case.
This is only the second exception made by the Union government of setting up two central universities in a particular state, the first being Jammu and Kashmir.
Sources said there would be no additional allocation for Bihar and the Rs 240 crore meant for the state for the central university would now be divided among the two varsities.
Sibal said the campus in Motihari would be adjacent to an upcoming national highway, the completion of which would reduce the travel time to and fro Patna by two and half hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title