Idol immersion further polluting Ganga water
Patna: The State Pollution Control Board in Bihar would conduct a test of the Ganga water to ascertain level of contamination due to immersion of thousands of idols in the city containing toxic synthetic materials and paints.
According to estimates of different environmental groups, around 1500 idols of Goddess Durga were immersed in the Ganga due to which more than 60,000 kg of toxic material, including thousand kg of lead and non bio-degradable stuff, were discharged in the river.
The River Ganga is already contaminated due to discharge of city wastes and industrial refuse.
The Board`s Chairman Subhas Chand Singh told PTI today, "out of faith people prefer to immerse idols in sacred River Ganga but due to use of toxic materials nowadays in the idols its water is getting further polluted."
He said sample of river water was being collected to assess the level of pollution after immersions.
Pollution Board`s scientist Navin Kumar said, "huge quantity of toxic paints and other synthetic materials are used nowadays to give a fancy touch to the idols. Plaster of Paris is opted more than the natural soil in the process. These are adding up pollution level of the water".
Noted environmentalist RK Sinha, popularly known as the "Dolphin man" said time has come to think of some alternative venues for immersion of idols as it is further polluting Ganga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'