Impoverished woman sells baby for Rs 62
Araria (Bihar): A beggar woman sold her 16 month-old son to a Nepali couple for only Rs 62 at Forbesganj in Bihar, Araria superintendent of police S Lande said on Monday.
The woman has denied having sold her son, one among twins, and said she had given him away near Forbesganj railway station on Thursday so that he could be better looked after.
She said she took the step in desperation as she was finding it difficult to support her physically challenged husband, daughter and the twin sons.
Her eight year-old daughter has, however, said her brother was sold for Nepalese Rs 100 (INR 62) and not given away, Lande said.
The woman hails from Madanpur village near the Indo-Nepal border and use of Nepali currency is common in the area.
Efforts are on to trace the baby boy, the SP said.
In Patna, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said the state government had taken cognisance of the incident and would take action on it.
Kumar, who was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of his weekly Janata Darbar programme, described the incident as a "matter of anxiety" and said, "Such incidents, though rare, are really attached to social problems and should be seen sensitively."
"It is also the responsibility of the society to discourage such acts...We are running some projects for poverty-stricken and hapless people and we will try to reach more relief," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users