Indefinite "Chakka Jam" in Bihar enters third day
Patna: The indefinite "Chakka-Jam" called by
Bihar Motor Transport Federation (BMTF) entered its third day
today with around 2.5 lakh trucks and 70,000 buses going off
the roads in the state.
"Around 2.5 lakh trucks and 70,000 buses, besides other
commercial vehicles are off the roads...the strike has
immensely affected business activities," BMTF General
Secretary U P Singh said.
Business organisations and state Finance department
estimated a business loss of Rs 40 to 45 crore on an average
per day because of the strike, officials said.
The BMTF has called the strike to protest the imposition
of the Damage to property Act on overloaded vehicles and FIR
against their owners.
Most major markets in Patna and other business centres in
Bihar continued to wear a deserted look in absence of trucks
and prices of vegetables, poultry and milk products have
Bihar Transport minister R N Singh yesterday held a
meeting with representatives of BMTF but it ended in a
"We have requested the transporters to postpone their
strike in consideration of the month of Ramzan and the Hindu
festivals so that the common people do not face hardship
during the festive season," the minister said.
The BMTF sources argued that they were not responsible
for overloading as transport companies and middlemen force
them to it.
The BMTF general secretary ruled out the possibility of
withdrawing the strike unless the demand for revocation of the
order for imposition of Damage to property Act on overloaded
vehicles was not taken back.
Meanwhile, the truckers of West Bengal have decided to
stop sending their vehicles to Bihar expressing solidarity
with the BMTF, the BMTF general secretary claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL