Jailed JD(U) leader distributes leaflets for Nitish rally
Muzaffarpur: With his one hand in handcuffs, jailed JD-U leader Munna Shukla, who allegedly demanded Rs two crore from a private engineering college for Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s rally on Friday distributed leaflets in court premises appealing to people to participate in the event.
Shukla`s controversial action after he was produced in handcuffs in a court in connection with the case of murder of former RJD minister Brij Bihari Singh raised questions even as he rejected as a conspiracy the allegation. The "Adhikar" rally is scheduled to be held in Patna on November four.
"It`s a conspiracy. I have asked for votes and blessings of people for elections and never indulged in extortion from anyone," he told reporters in the premises of the Fast Track Court.
A former legislator and husband of Annu Shukla, the JD-U MLA from Lalganj, Shukla distributed leaflets with an appeal to people to take part in the ruling JD-U`s rally in large numbers.
Shukla, who is at present in the Khudiram Bose Central Jail in connection with the murder case, is alleged to have called the director of a private engineering college Santlal Yadav twice on his mobile from inside the jail demanding Rs two crore for the rally seeking special status for Bihar.
The police have confirmed that phone calls were made on the cellphone of the college director from two mobiles mentioned in the FIR.
The Prison Department yesterday suspended the head warden of the Muzaffarpur jail and a recommendation was made for dismissal of a Special Armed Police official after recovery of mobile phones from Shukla`s cell.
The complaint of extortion in the name of rally kicked off a political storm with opposition RJD, LJP and Left targeting the Nitish Kumar government. The Chief Minister has assured action in the extortion case.
Hoardings with Shukla`s photos in the state capital in which he appealed to people to attend the Adhikar rally in huge numbers have been removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights