JD-U, BJP MPs demand central university in Motihari
New Delhi: A delegation of JD-U and BJP MPs from Bihar on Monday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and demanded establishment of a central university in Motihari, where Mahatma Gandhi launched his Satyagraha against British rule.
"A delegation of MPs from JD-U and BJP today met the Prime Minister for setting up a (central) university at the place where Gandhiji staged his first Satyagraha," BJP MP from East Champaran Radha Mohan Singh told reporters outside Parliament.
He said the delegation comprising over 25 MPs from both the parties submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister in this regard.
In the memorandum, the MPs said the proposal to set up the university in Motihari was stuck out by Human Resources Development Minister Kapil Sibal.
"The HRD Minister says there is no airport in (East Champaran) district but we want to bring to your notice that there are several places in the country where such institutions are located in districts from where the distance of airports is 150 km," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?