JD-U, BJP MPs demand central university in Motihari
New Delhi: A delegation of JD-U and BJP MPs from Bihar on Monday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and demanded establishment of a central university in Motihari, where Mahatma Gandhi launched his Satyagraha against British rule.
"A delegation of MPs from JD-U and BJP today met the Prime Minister for setting up a (central) university at the place where Gandhiji staged his first Satyagraha," BJP MP from East Champaran Radha Mohan Singh told reporters outside Parliament.
He said the delegation comprising over 25 MPs from both the parties submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister in this regard.
In the memorandum, the MPs said the proposal to set up the university in Motihari was stuck out by Human Resources Development Minister Kapil Sibal.
"The HRD Minister says there is no airport in (East Champaran) district but we want to bring to your notice that there are several places in the country where such institutions are located in districts from where the distance of airports is 150 km," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price