JD-U dilemma on scam tainted leaders
Patna: Bihar`s ruling Janata Dal-United is in a dilemma on whether or not to act against two of its senior leaders convicted in the fodder scam.
JD-U MP Jagdish Sharma and Jagannath Mishra, a former Bihar chief minister, were among 45 people convicted Sep 30 in the fodder scam by a special CBI court in Ranchi.
Both were sent to jail along with Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad, who too was held guilty.
The JD-U leadership seems to be in two minds on taking action against the two in view of the general elections due next year.
"Thanks to Lalu, the two convicted JD-U leaders hardly get any space in the media," a JD-U leader said.
In Bihar`s caste ridden politics, the JD-U is in no hurry to act against Sharma and Mishra. Both are from the upper castes.
Sharma belongs to the powerful Bhumihar caste while Mishra is a Brahmin. Both castes enjoy political and socio-economic clout in the state.
Though Bhumihars account for only 2.5 to 3 percent of Bihar`s population, they are known to influence others in voting.
Till a few months ago, they were strong supporters of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. But no more.
JD-U spokesman K.C. Tyagi said the JD-U would neither nominate the convicts in elections nor keep any relationship with them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?