JD-U retains Bihar`s Kalyanpur Assembly seat
Patna: Bihar`s ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) on Thursday retained the Kalyanpur Assembly seat, with its candidate Manju Kumari defeating Lok Janshakti Party`s (LJP) Rekha Paswan by over 17,000 votes, an election official said.
The JD-U`s victory is a seen as a setback to LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan and his ally Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad, who had repeatedly claimed that people would reject Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s JD-U in Kalyanpur by-poll.
The LJP was fully supported by the RJD in the by-poll.
The death of sitting JD-U legislator Ramsevak Hazari necessitated the by-poll in the Assembly constituency of Samastipur, home of late socialist leader Karpoori Thakur.
Over half a dozen candidates were in the fray for the by-election held on February 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal