JD-U to make caste census a poll issue in Bihar
New Delhi: Ahead of the Bihar Assembly polls,
JD-U President Sharad Yadav today sought to make the
caste-based census an election issue by saying it was a bad
decision of the government to conduct another census after
the completion of the ongoing exercise to count caste.
"The Cabinet decision on caste census is very bad. The
Government has decided to conduct another census after the
completion of the ongoing census in order to count caste. We
register our objection to this decision," he told a press
Demanding immediate review of the decision, he alleged
that UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who had made the
commitment that caste would be included in the census, have
failed to keep their word.
Yadav demanded that the Cabinet should review the decision
immediately and include caste in the ongoing census exercise
itself to get all figures and to avoid the wastage of money,
time and effort in a separate caste count.
Bowing to demands by several political parties, the
government had last week decided to carry out a caste census
next year independent of the ongoing census operations.
The JD-U, RJD and Samajwadi Party were in the forefront of
the demand for inclusion of caste in the current census.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Sky is the limit for investments in India: Arun Jaitley
- Like seriously! Kanye West lying naked along with other 11 personalities in his 'Famous' video - Watch
- Why hot climate fuels aggression, violence
- Dinosaur-era bugs knew how to camouflage
- Mumbai school refuses admission to boy, judge offers to pay fees