JD(U), BJP attack Katju; Cong, RJD back him
Patna/Gaya: Press Council of India Chairman
Markandeya Katju utterances on alleged violation of press
freedom in Bihar drew sharp reaction from Nitish Kumar`s
ruling JD(U) and BJP while opposition Congress and RJD backed
the former Supreme Court judge.
Justice Katju, who alleged that the media in Bihar was
targeted if it wrote against the government, today said his
remarks should not be considered as his final opinion and a
three-member panel had been constituted to probe complaints of
The former judge made the remarks only to hog headlines
in newspapers, JD(U) spokesman Shivanand Tiwari said while
rejecting the charge of curbs being put on the media in Bihar.
Objecting to the remarks, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil
Kumar Modi said they were improper.
"Katju is in the habit of making such uncalled for,
unwarranted and `anaap shanap` (nonsense) ... He should join
active politics instead of making such remarks," he said.
Supporting the judge, Union Minister Subodh Kant Sahai
said there was truth in his observations that release of
government advertisements were being used to force newspapers
to write positive news about the state.
Kumar`s arch rival, Lalu Prasad said due to pressure from
the state government, the media was forced to act as its
Justice Katju said a three-member panel had been
constituted to probe complaints of the journalists.
Bihar government too would be free to present its views
before the probe panel which would comprise members of PCI
sub-committee Rajiv Ranjan Nag, Arun Kumar and Kalyan Barua,
Katju told PTI.
The panel would inquire into complaints of harassment
faced by reporters writing against the state government in
newspapers or magazines and would submit their report to him.
"I hope we will be able to ensure fair, independent
and impartial inquiry to find out the truth of the
complaints," he said.
PCI would take action after receiving the inquiry
report, he said.
"Journalists are being dismissed or removed or shunted
out or advertisements are being withheld to newspapers for
writing against the government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM