JD(U) fields Bihar Speaker against Meira Kumar in Sasaram
New Delhi: The Janata Dal (United) on Saturday fielded Bihar Assembly Speaker Uday Narain Chowdhary and former bureaucrat KP Ramaiah from Sasaram and Jamui constituencies respectively for the Lok Sabha elections.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar is the Congress candidate from Sasaram which she represents in the Lok Sabha.
The JD(U), which rules Bihar, also declared the candidature of Baagi Kumar Verma from Aurangabad, Mahabali Singh from Karakat, Jeetan Ram Manjhi from Gaya and Kaushal Yadav from Nawada.
Except for Mahabali Singh, a sitting MP, JD (U) has fielded new candidates for rest of the five seats.
Sasaram, Karakat, Aurangabad, Gaya, Nawada and Jamui constituencies will go for polls on April 10.
The party also fielded its Jharkhand unit chief Jaleshwar Hahato from Giridh and Mahesh Yadav from Chatra in Jharkhand.
It also declared candidates for four seats in Narendra Modi-ruled Gujarat and one each in Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Jeetan Ram Manjhi is a minister in the Nitish Kumar government.
JD(U) is contesting 38 of 40 eats in alliance with CPI. The CPI is contesting on two seats -- Begusarai and Banka.
JD(U)`s Monazir Hassan is the sitting MP from Begusarai. Since the seat has been given to CPI under the alliance agreement, JD(U) is likely to field him from another seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands