JD(U) leader KC Tyagi files nomination for RS from Bihar
Patna: KC Tyagi, the senior JD(U) leader and close confidante of party president Sharad Yadav, on Saturday filed nomination for the lone Rajya Sabha seat vacant from Bihar following resignation of rebel leader Upendra Kushwaha.
Tyagi filed his nomination at the state legislative council in the presence of party president Sharad Yadav and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Later, Yadav told reporters that Tyagi has been a companion since 1974 Jaiprakash Narayan movement and is experienced.
BJP national spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain and state JD(U) chief Vashist Narayan Singh was also present on the occasion.
February 04 is the last date for filing nomination and names could be withdrawn till February 07 and if needed poll will take place on February 14.
With JD(U) having majority in the state Assembly with 118 MLAs, there is virtually no contest for the post and Tyagi`s election seems to be a foregone conclusion.
Kushwaha, once a close supporter of the Bihar CM, fell out with him and resigned from the party and RS seat on Janauary 04 last.
The CM said that JD(U) finalised name of Tyagi after consulting its NDA ally, BJP.
Tyagi thanked the party leaders and said he would work tirelessly for the welfare of people of Bihar in Delhi and other parts of the country.
JD(U) is organising a rally at Delhi`s Ramlila maidan on March 17 for special category state for Bihar and Tyagi, who was once Lok Sabha member from Ghaziabad, could play an important role in mobilising support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price