JD(U) leader KC Tyagi files nomination for RS from Bihar
Patna: KC Tyagi, the senior JD(U) leader and close confidante of party president Sharad Yadav, on Saturday filed nomination for the lone Rajya Sabha seat vacant from Bihar following resignation of rebel leader Upendra Kushwaha.
Tyagi filed his nomination at the state legislative council in the presence of party president Sharad Yadav and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Later, Yadav told reporters that Tyagi has been a companion since 1974 Jaiprakash Narayan movement and is experienced.
BJP national spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain and state JD(U) chief Vashist Narayan Singh was also present on the occasion.
February 04 is the last date for filing nomination and names could be withdrawn till February 07 and if needed poll will take place on February 14.
With JD(U) having majority in the state Assembly with 118 MLAs, there is virtually no contest for the post and Tyagi`s election seems to be a foregone conclusion.
Kushwaha, once a close supporter of the Bihar CM, fell out with him and resigned from the party and RS seat on Janauary 04 last.
The CM said that JD(U) finalised name of Tyagi after consulting its NDA ally, BJP.
Tyagi thanked the party leaders and said he would work tirelessly for the welfare of people of Bihar in Delhi and other parts of the country.
JD(U) is organising a rally at Delhi`s Ramlila maidan on March 17 for special category state for Bihar and Tyagi, who was once Lok Sabha member from Ghaziabad, could play an important role in mobilising support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days