JD(U) rally in Delhi on Mar 17 for special status for Bihar
Patna: The ruling JD(U) today decided to organise a massive rally in Delhi on March 17 to press for its demand for grant of special category status to Bihar by the Centre to spur growth.
The rally would be attended by a large number of people from Bihar and those from the state living in Delhi, Bihar JD(U) President Vashist Narayan Singh told reporters after a meeting of party MPs, MLAs and MLCs chaired by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Singh welcomed Union Finance minister P Chidambaram`s recent statement in the Rajya Sabha supporting change in the criteria for special status for a backward state like Bihar and said "it indicates a positive approach by the Centre."
The March 17 rally would be followed by another on November 4 at Patna.
The JD(U) has been raising the issue of special status for Bihar on every platform.
Recently, the Chief Minister wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh stating that the state was land-locked and bereft of mines and minerals after Jharkhand was carved out in November 2000.
Kumar had raised the issue at a recent meeting of National Development Council (NDC) too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Borussia Dortmund deny reports of Manchester City's EUR 70 million bid for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Kapil Sharma aka Kappu's Twitter account 'hacked'! – Know who did it
- More than 37,000 flee South Sudan for Uganda: UN
- World to end in a global apocalypse this Friday on July 29?
- First Haj flight from Uttar Pradesh to take off on August 10