JD(U) rally in Delhi on Mar 17 for special status for Bihar
Patna: The ruling JD(U) today decided to organise a massive rally in Delhi on March 17 to press for its demand for grant of special category status to Bihar by the Centre to spur growth.
The rally would be attended by a large number of people from Bihar and those from the state living in Delhi, Bihar JD(U) President Vashist Narayan Singh told reporters after a meeting of party MPs, MLAs and MLCs chaired by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Singh welcomed Union Finance minister P Chidambaram`s recent statement in the Rajya Sabha supporting change in the criteria for special status for a backward state like Bihar and said "it indicates a positive approach by the Centre."
The March 17 rally would be followed by another on November 4 at Patna.
The JD(U) has been raising the issue of special status for Bihar on every platform.
Recently, the Chief Minister wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh stating that the state was land-locked and bereft of mines and minerals after Jharkhand was carved out in November 2000.
Kumar had raised the issue at a recent meeting of National Development Council (NDC) too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley