JD(U) rally in Delhi on Mar 17 for special status for Bihar
Patna: The ruling JD(U) today decided to organise a massive rally in Delhi on March 17 to press for its demand for grant of special category status to Bihar by the Centre to spur growth.
The rally would be attended by a large number of people from Bihar and those from the state living in Delhi, Bihar JD(U) President Vashist Narayan Singh told reporters after a meeting of party MPs, MLAs and MLCs chaired by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Singh welcomed Union Finance minister P Chidambaram`s recent statement in the Rajya Sabha supporting change in the criteria for special status for a backward state like Bihar and said "it indicates a positive approach by the Centre."
The March 17 rally would be followed by another on November 4 at Patna.
The JD(U) has been raising the issue of special status for Bihar on every platform.
Recently, the Chief Minister wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh stating that the state was land-locked and bereft of mines and minerals after Jharkhand was carved out in November 2000.
Kumar had raised the issue at a recent meeting of National Development Council (NDC) too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House