JD(U), RJD, Congress demand Giriraj Singh`s arrest
Patna: JD(U), RJD and Congress Legislators on Wednesday created ruckus in both Houses of Bihar Legislature over recovery of Rs 1.14 crore, USD 600 and ornaments stolen from the house of BJP MP Giriraj Singh and demanded his arrest and termination of Parliament membership alleging it as "black money".
As the Assembly sat for the day, JD(U), RJD and Congress MLAs trooped into well and demanded stringent action against Giriraj Singh.
With BJP members also in the well to protest police firing in Rohtas district yesterday in which two persons were killed, Speaker Udai Narayan Choudhary adjourned the House till 2 pm when members refused to obey him and return to their seat.
Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi was in the House when pandemonium erupted.
Later, the CM told reporters in his chamber that the state government has taken cognisance of recovery of huge cash, US dollars and ornaments stolen from Giriraj Singh`s flat on July 7 and would act according to law.
"Patna police and Income Tax have already been probing the source of the wealth recovered. If need arises other forms of inquiry could be ordered," he said.
Former chief minister Nitish Kumar expressed surprise over volume of cash and US dollars which were recovered.
"The volume is big. It raises question as from where did it come?" Kumar told reporters emerging from Legislative council.
He hailed prompt action by Patna police in nabbing the culprits and recovery of stolen items in short time.
JD(U) MLAs sat on dharna at the main entrance of the Assembly demanding immediate arrest of Giriraj Singh, BJP MP from Nawada and termination of his membership in the wake of recovery of such a huge amount of cash and US dollars.
JD(U) MLA Manjit Singh told reporters that it was a challenge for the Prime Minister Narendra Modi who made "lofty" speeches on black money during poll campaign to act against his party MP harbouring ill gotten wealth.
Singh and his party colleague Dawood Ali demanded the state government to act under provisions of anti-corruption laws against the BJP MP, confiscate his properties and convert it into school for poor as has been its policy.
Similar was the scene in Legislative Council where JD(U) members created ruckus over Giriraj Singh issue.
Police had recovered the stolen items from the BJP MP`s flat with the arrest of four persons yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan