Juvenile convict can contest elections: Patna HC
Patna: Patna High Court today observed
that a juvenile convict could contest the Lok Sabha or
Assembly elections after completion of sentence.
Justice S N Hussain made the observation while hearing
a petition filed by Siddhartha Singh, son of paediatrician
Utpal Kant, seeking the High Court`s order to Election
Commission to facilitate him to contest the upcoming Bihar
The court, however, refused to issue any specific
direction to the EC for issuing a notification clarifying that
a juvenile convict could contest elections after completion of
Siddhartha Singh, who had served a three-year sentence
in a murder case when he was a youngster, is the LJP nominee
for Vikram Assembly constituency in Patna district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed