Juvenile convict can contest elections: Patna HC
Patna: Patna High Court today observed
that a juvenile convict could contest the Lok Sabha or
Assembly elections after completion of sentence.
Justice S N Hussain made the observation while hearing
a petition filed by Siddhartha Singh, son of paediatrician
Utpal Kant, seeking the High Court`s order to Election
Commission to facilitate him to contest the upcoming Bihar
The court, however, refused to issue any specific
direction to the EC for issuing a notification clarifying that
a juvenile convict could contest elections after completion of
Siddhartha Singh, who had served a three-year sentence
in a murder case when he was a youngster, is the LJP nominee
for Vikram Assembly constituency in Patna district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed