Kirti Azad for revival of Bihar`s `Connaught place
Darbhanga: Seeking to revive the architectural wealth of the colonial era, local MP Kirti Azad has said he will explore with the Bihar government the possibility of restoring the old glory of the Oval market area here built on the lines of Delhi`s Connaught place.
"I have been informed that Britishers had drawn the architecture of the Oval market area in Darbhanga in 1934 on the pattern of Connaught place in Delhi, a year after it was built," Azad told a news agency.
But, in the course of time the original architecture of the market area was distorted due to unplanned constructions, he claimed.
"I will explore with the state government the possibility of reviving the original architectural shape of the market area, which could become a major tourist attraction," the cricketer-turned BJP MP said.
The area today is choked by the CM Science College on one side and markets and residential buildings on the other side.
Data provided by Delhi-based Bihar Information Centre says that the college had taken the land on lease from Darbhanga Municipal Corporation.
Azad said he had also taken up with the state government the issue of developing three tanks in Darbhanga into a tourist spot by beautifying its shore areas.
"If the three tanks, which lie in a row, are joined and necessary infrastructure is added it has the potential to develop like the famous Dal lake of Srinagar," he said.
"If needed, I will take up the matter with the Centre also," Azad added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened