Kosi floods: SSB alerts border posts along Nepal in Bihar
New Delhi: Government has put on alert troops of border guarding Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) in view of the impending Kosi floods in Bihar even as the paramilitary force has moved its critical equipment and ammunition to interior areas from the frontier.
The floods threaten over two dozen border posts of the force that are located right on the zero line of the Indo-Nepal border in Bihar.
"We have alerted our formations in Bihar in view of the floods. While the troops have been asked to ensure their safety, they have also been asked to render help to civil administration in mitigation works," SSB Inspector General (Operations and Intelligence) Somesh Goyal told.
Officials said the force has removed arms, ammunition and other critical equipment from five border posts in Bihar while two have been abandoned in view of the floods.
The IG said field commanders have been asked to be on the ground with two tasks in mind.
"First of the safety of our men and the arising concerns of border security related issues and the second instruction has been sent to them to render all help to the affected. We have provided boats and other relief equipments to our boys on this border for rescue operations," Goyal said.
The paramilitary force has also asked its units deployed along the 1,751-km open border to maintain strict vigil and not lower their guard.
The danger of floods loomed large over the Kosi belt along Bihar-Nepal border following discharge of 1.25 lakh cusecs of water after the Nepalese Army conducted two low-intensity blasts to partially remove the landslide debris blocking Bhote Kosi, one of the tributaries of Kosi. The release of water has raised the water level in the river in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Saudi Airlines flight halted for 3 days in Ahmedabad!
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Mahresult.nic.in MSBSHSE HSC Results 2016: Maharashtra Board HSC Class 12th XII Exam Result 2016 declared
- Is ‘Junooniyat’, ‘Sanam Re 2’? Yami Gautam will tell you
- IPL 2016: Sunil Gavaskar thinks de Villiers is 'AB-CDE' - Find out why!
- Batla House encounter: Subramanian Swamy calls for NIA probe against Digvijay Singh
- Maruti Alto 800 Facelift: How different is the new model?