Lakhs of devotees observe Chhath puja in Bihar
Patna: Lakhs of devotees on Friday thronged
rivers, water reservoirs, canals and ponds across Bihar to
celebrate Chhath Puja.
Standing in knee-deep water, devotees paid oblations to
the setting sun. They also observed fast for 36 hours.
In Patna, lakhs of devotees offered Puja to the Sun God
after taking holy dip in the Ganga. Ghats on the banks of the
river were spruced up and illuminated for the occasion with
strains of devotional songs wafting in the air.
Close relatives of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and RJD
president Lalu Prasad`s former chief minister wife Rabri Devi
with relatives celebrated Chhath and offered `arghyas`
(prayers) to the setting sun.
Lakhs of devotees thronged the Sun temples at Deo of
Aurangabad, Bargao of Nalanda and Pandarak in Patna district.
Inmates of various jails, including Beur, performed Chhath
puja for which the authorities made special arrangement.
The jail inmates also performed the puja at the divisional
and central jails in Motihari, Bhagalpur, Muzaffarpur, Buxar,
Gaya and Jehanabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital