Lalu bats for death penalty provision in anti-rape
Ballia (UP): RJD chief Lalu Prasad on Thursday met the family of Delhi gang-rape victim at their native village where he made a strong pitch for strict anti-rape laws with provision for capital punishment.
"Like in Arab countries, strict laws need to be made with provision for capital punishment," Yadav told reporters.
Prasad, however, did not agree with Union Minister Shashi Tharoor`s suggestion that the proposed anti-rape law be named after the 23-year-old paramedical student who died after the beastly attack on her on December 16.
The RJD chief said that his party would strongly demand change in rape laws with a provision for death sentence in barbaric cases like the Delhi incident in the coming budget session of parliament.
"We will strongly voice our demand for provision of hanging in cases of rape during the next session of Parliament," Prasad said.
Prasad described the victim as a `brave` girl and said she had left behind some serious questions before society on safety and security of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list