Lalu bats for death penalty provision in anti-rape
Ballia (UP): RJD chief Lalu Prasad on Thursday met the family of Delhi gang-rape victim at their native village where he made a strong pitch for strict anti-rape laws with provision for capital punishment.
"Like in Arab countries, strict laws need to be made with provision for capital punishment," Yadav told reporters.
Prasad, however, did not agree with Union Minister Shashi Tharoor`s suggestion that the proposed anti-rape law be named after the 23-year-old paramedical student who died after the beastly attack on her on December 16.
The RJD chief said that his party would strongly demand change in rape laws with a provision for death sentence in barbaric cases like the Delhi incident in the coming budget session of parliament.
"We will strongly voice our demand for provision of hanging in cases of rape during the next session of Parliament," Prasad said.
Prasad described the victim as a `brave` girl and said she had left behind some serious questions before society on safety and security of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!