Lalu congratulates Nitish, but not BJP
Patna: Stating that he respected the mandate of the people, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad on Wednesday congratulated Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for the victory of the Janata Dal-United, Bharatiya Janata Party combine in the Assembly Elections.
"We respect the mandate of the people, we congratulate the new government," Lalu Prasad said, addressing a joint press conference with LJP leader Ramvilas Paswan.
However, he said he would not congratulate the BJP as he "hates" the party for its communal views.
"We are not discouraged, we will do our duty as the opposition," he said as the results indicated a complete rout for the RJD, Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) alliance.
The RJD leader said there was some mystery behind the landslide victory and many seats won were from areas that were not strongholds of either the BJP or the JD(U).
"I am not accusing anyone, but there is some mystery in their victory, we will find out," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre to be launched in India today