Lalu demands arrest of LJP MP Rama Singh
New Delhi: RJD chief Lalu Prasad today demanded the arrest of newly-elected Vaishali MP Rama Singh from of LJP, alleging that he "hid the fact" that he is an "absconder" in an abduction case in his election affidavit.
Rama Singh is one of the six MPs from Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan`s party LJP, which won in the Lok Sabha election in Bihar in alliance with the BJP. He defeated RJD Vice President Raghuvansh Prasad Singh in Lok Sabha polls.
Rama Singh, who was seen in Parliament on the first day of the 16th Lok Sabha, could not be reached for his comments.
Wehn contacted LJP Secretary General Abdul Khaliq said that he would first speak to the MP in this regard and then comment.
At a press conference addressed by Prasad, his party Vice President former Union Minister Raghuvansh Prasad Singh released a letter he has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi asking him to take action against the LJP MP. He also released a number of other documents to support his allegations.
They alleged that Rama Singh was an accused in the abduction case of a petrol pump owner Jaichand Vaidya of Chhattisgarh in 2001 and an open non-bailable arrest warrant is pending against him since 2003.
"Rama Singh alias Ramakishore Singh, ex-MLA and now the MP is absconding for 11 years after he was made an accused in in a heinous crime like abduction. Since he remained absconding after the issuance of open non-bailable arrest warrant against him, the trial against him could not commence.
"He had hidden the fact in his election affidavit that he is absconding in session trial number 181/2002 and also that his petition to quash the case against him has been rejected by the High Court," the RJD Vice President alleged.
The RJD Vice President told the Prime Minister that he and his party leader Arun Jaitley had talked of quickening trial in criminal cases against MPs and MLAs and completing it within a year. "In that context, this is the first test case before you," he said.
Prasad said that if action was not taken against Rama Singh, his party would hold protests in Parliament campus. A delegation of RJD will also meet the Election Commission.
"Rama Singh should be immediately arrested and should be produced before the court," he said. Rama Kishore Singh had defeated five-time MP and former Union minister Raghuvansh Prasad Singh in Vaishali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda