Lalu demands judicial probe into Chhath tragedy
New Delhi: RJD Chief Lalu Prasad Thursday demanded a probe by a sitting high court judge into the Chhath tragedy in Patna in which 17 people were killed, saying such an inquiry will bring out the truth.
"The huge tragedy happened due to the criminal negligence of the Bihar government. An unsafe bridge was built which collapsed. Such a tragedy has never occurred in the past," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
Prasad alleged that Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has a "habit of distancing himself" from any untoward incident that happens.
"Nitish Kumar has given a clean chit to all the officers who were on duty during the Chhath incident. Now the Home Secretary has been asked to probe the matter. How can he indict anybody when the Chief Minister has himself given a clean chit to officers," he said.
He demanded that a sitting judge of the Patna High Court should probe the matter and bring out the truth. "We do not have any trust in the probe by the government," Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery