Lalu donates 69 buses to academic institutions
Patna: In a deft move to woo the voters in Bihar`s Saran parliamentary constituency represented by him, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad has donated 69 buses to 63 academic institutions from his MPLAD funds apparently for convenience of the students`.
The buses have been donated to schools and colleges in Prasad`s lok sabha seat so that the students could conveniently commute from their places to the schools/colleges and back, Prasad`s aide, Bhola Prasad Yadav told PTI on Monday.
Prasad`s aide said that his leader pooled together annual funds of his MPLAD over past several years and bought 69 buses for the selected academic institutions, with each 32-seater bus costing Rs 13 lakh.
On the maintenance and servicing of the buses, Yadav said that it was for the beneficiary institutions to arrange funds for the purpose.
However, according to his detractors in NDA, "Prasad may have sought to woo the students and their families by donating buses to academic institutions to reap electoral dividends in the next general elections."
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said, "the people understand his ploys (log sab hoshiyari samajhte hai)."
Prasad had proposed to provide bikes to the youth in a bid to lure them to vote for his party in the assembly polls, he said.
Kumar said that the RJD leader may have intended to counter the NDA government`s `bicycle scheme` for boys and girls students to empower women and promote awareness among the young students about environment and the results of which were there for all to see.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata