Lalu Prasad Yadav fails to stop Narendra Modi`s march in Bihar
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: Despite his claims RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav could not stop BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s march in Bihar. The NDA won more than 20 seats in Bihar, with RJD and its allies winning less than ten seats.
Lalu had said that he would stop Modi in Bihar as he did to his "guru" LK Advani. However, he could not even ensure victory of his wife and daughter.
Prasad`s wife Rabri Devi lost to BJP`s Rajiv Pratap Rudy by 40,948 votes at his home turf of Saran Lok Sabha seat.
Rudy secured 3,55,120 votes while Rabri Devi secured 3,14,172 votes.
JD(U) Saleem Parvez played spoilsport to RJD nominee by bagging 1,07,008 votes mostly that of minority Muslims.
Rabri Devi`s defeat flying on the face of her husband who represented the seat four times and never lost from here since 1977 when he first contested the seat to make a mark on national political scene.
Prasad, who was convicted in a fodder scam case and was disqualified from Lok Sabha, had chosen his wife to represent him on the home turf but could not succeed in the mission. To hand over the mantle to Rabri Devi, Prasad had also enacted a "Jaimal" (exchange of garlands during marriage) before public to play up to their sentiments.
Even before Prasad could cope up with humiliation at Saran, came the news of defeat of his daughter Misa Bharti at Patliputra seat in the hands of his long time close associate Ramkripal Yadav. Yadav bagged 3,83,262 votes while Misa Bharti secured 3,42,940 votes thus winning the seat by 40,322 votes. Sitting JD(U) MP Ranjan Yadav managed to get 97228 votes.
To ensure victory of daughter, Lalu Prasad even visited house of notorious criminal Ritlal Yadav and made him party General Secretary. But, a strong "Modi wave" watered down all his efforts.
Even though he has some laugh over defeat of his rival Sharad Yadav in the hands of his party`s candidate Rajesh Ranjan alias Pappu Yadav, but defeat of wife and daughter killed all the joy.
Prasad`s key associate and former Union Minister Raghubansh Prasad was also faced with a sure defeat at Vaishali seat in the hands of LJP Rama Singh.
With Assembly elections scheduled in Bihar next year, it remains to be seen whether Lalu can make a comeback and whether he can take on the BJP and the JD(U).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow