Lalu Prasad Yadav not to celebrate Chhath festival in jail
Ranchi: Former Bihar chief minister Lalu Prasad will not observe Chhath puja in jail, officials said on Thursday.
The Rashtriya Janata Dal chief has not kept a fast and has not asked for any material for the religious rituals, D Pradahan, jail superintendent of Birsa Munda central jail here, told a news agency.
Lalu usually keeps fast during Chhath puja and performs the rituals every year. This year, however, he is currently lodged in Ranchi jail after being convicted in the fodder scam and jailed for five years by a special CBI court last month.
"Today (Thursday) he has taken his meals and we have no information about him performing Chhath puja. Till now, no puja material has been demanded," he said.
Lalu has turned into a gardener in jail and is paid Rs 14 every day.
"He looks after the gardening here," Pradhan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days