Lalu slams Modi government for rail fare salvo on common man
Patna: Former railway minister and RJD Chief Lalu Prasad today slammed the Narendra Modi government for announcing "big" hike in rail fare and freight, which he described as the "first salvo on common man".
"The BJP befooled people in the general election by promising Achee din...They have fired the first salvo from toop (tank) on common man`s chest by announcing big increase in rail fare and freight," Prasad told reporters.
Prasad, who served as railway minister in UPA I and earned praise by not raising fare for five years during his tenure and generating surplus for the Railway, said the BJP government showed its "real character" by announcing the hike within days of coming to power.
"I do not remember any government in the past had announced such a big increase in Railway fare and freight in one go," Prasad said reacting on the 14.2 per cent increase in fare across all classes and hike in freight charge by 6.5 per cent with effect from today.
Prasad took credit for decreasing the rail fare every year during his tenure as minister in the UPA I.
Narrating his `success` story, the former Bihar Chief Minister claimed, "Around 14 lakh employees of Railway were not sure if they would get salary when I took over the charge. But, I gave them bonus also."
Prasad said that the BJP and NDA had been known for increasing prices of essential services. "This is their character from the beginning and Narendra Modi government has lived up to that," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof