Lalu supports FDI in multi-brand retail
Patna: RJD chief Lalu Prasad Saturday supported the Congress-led central government`s decision to allow 51 percent foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail, saying the farmers would get good price for their produce.
"FDI (foreign direct investment) in multi-brand retail will benefit farmers of the country as they would get fair price for their products and people will get good quality food grain," the Rashtriya Janata Dal leader said while interacting with media in Gopalganj district of Bihar.
The former Bihar chief minister wondered that shoes are being sold in air-conditioned shops but food grain and eatables are being sold in open, ignoring hygiene and compromising with the health of the people in the country.
"With FDI entry in multi-brand retail, the people will get quality items," Lalu Prasad said.
In reference to the ruling United Progressive Allaince`s (UPA) constituent Trinamool Congress chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee`s opposition to the FDI in retail, Lalu Prasad said that she would be pacified soon.
"She used to oppose anything in the morning and by evening she used to support it," he said.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Friday opposed the UPA`s decision on FDI in multi-brand retail, describing it as a self-destructive measure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof