`Lalu`s conviction may impact Congress-RJD ties`
New Delhi: RJD supremo Lalu Prasad`s conviction in the fodder scam case is likely to impact politics in Bihar and could have a bearing on the possibility of a tie-up between his RJD and the Congress for the Lok Sabha polls, said a Congress leader from the state.
Mehboob Ali Qaiser, a former Congress state unit chief, said the conviction will have impact on the politics of Bihar "one way or the other".
"He is strong leader of his party (Rashtriya Janata Dal). There is a sense of despondency in his party upon his conviction. But there could be crystallization of party`s support base in the coming days," Qaiser said.
He said full impact will only be known after the sentencing Oct 3.
Qaiser said that Congress had not yet made up its mind whether it will go alone in Bihar or forge a tie-up and Lalu Prasad`s conviction could have a bearing on possible understanding with the RJD.
He said party vice president Rahul Gandhi`s attack on the ordinance that could have helped Lalu Prasad retain his membership of Lok Sabha would influence the party`s thinking towards its erstwhile ally in the state in the coming days.
RJD provides outside support to the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance government. The two parties have been allies in the past.
Congress sources said there were varied suggestions from party leaders in Bihar on alliances. They said while a section favours a tie-up with the RJD, another feels that the party will be better served if there is an alliance with the ruling Janata Dal-United.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’