Left parties not for third front now: Prakash Karat
Patna: CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Thursday said that the left parties were not seized with the issue of forming a third front as an alternative to the UPA and the NDA as of now.
"We are not working on formation of third front as of now as there is no no immediate threat to the UPA government at the Centre," Karat told reporters.
The left front was, however, working on strategies to launch a joint agitation against the "anti-people" policies of the UPA government and rope in like minded parties to put pressure on the central government to roll back the recent decisions including FDI in multi-brand retail, he said.
On whether he will invite West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in the proposed movement, he alleged that she too had taken many anti-people decisions and was trying to muzzle the voice of opposition in the state.
Karat, however, refused to criticize Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav for his alleged inconsistent stand under which he has opposed the FDI in retail and other policy decisions of the UPA government, but did not withdraw support to it.
Karat said that all parties had their own understanding
of issues and SP was supporting the UPA government from outside and at the same time working with the left parties on common issues.
The CPI(M) leader advocated debate in Parliament on the FDI in multi-brand retail to nail the government on the issue and said that left front and like-minded parties would formulate their strategies in this regard soon.
Karat said that a crucial meeting of the left parties would take place on October 6 where the strategies would be chalked out to pin down the UPA government on the FDI in retail and other issues in Parliament and outside.
On the land acquisition bill, the CPI(M) leader alleged that a parliamentary committee vetting the bill was trying to weaken the draft proposal apparently to benefit those acquiring land for industrial activities.
The Centre should incorporate a provision to ensure that the opinion of 80 per cent landowners should be taken into account before deciding of acquiring land and there should be hike in compensation and rehabilitation of the affected people, he said.
Karat urged the UPA government to bring the food security bill at the earliest and remove the distinction of BPL and APL to ensure that all needy families get 35 kg foodgrain per month at the rate of Rs two per kg.
On his assessment of development in Bihar during the NDA government headed by the Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Karat said that the masses were dissatisfied with the performance of the state government and discontent was fast simmering among the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm