Life term to one more for killing ex-JNU student leader
Patna: A special court Friday sentenced one more person to life imprisonment for the murder of CPI-ML leader and former JNU students union president Chandrasekhar in Bihar 15 years ago, a lawyer said.
Special CBI Judge Chaudhary Birendra Kumar Rai sentenced Rustam Mian to life in prison. The court had convicted him of the murder Wednesday.
Chandrasekhar and his associates Shyam Narayan Yadav and Bhatti Mian were gunned down at a roundabout in Siwan in March 1997.
Chandrasekhar, a Communist Party of India-Marxist-Leninist (CPI-ML) leader and former president of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) students union, was targeted after he launched a campaign to expose corruption and criminalisation of politics in Siwan.
Earlier this year, a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court sentenced three convicts to life imprisonment.
They were Kumar Jaiswal, Sheikh Munna and Illyas Warsi, all residents of Siwan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy terms burkini as 'provocation' that supports radical Islam
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi