Life term to one more for killing ex-JNU student leader
Patna: A special court Friday sentenced one more person to life imprisonment for the murder of CPI-ML leader and former JNU students union president Chandrasekhar in Bihar 15 years ago, a lawyer said.
Special CBI Judge Chaudhary Birendra Kumar Rai sentenced Rustam Mian to life in prison. The court had convicted him of the murder Wednesday.
Chandrasekhar and his associates Shyam Narayan Yadav and Bhatti Mian were gunned down at a roundabout in Siwan in March 1997.
Chandrasekhar, a Communist Party of India-Marxist-Leninist (CPI-ML) leader and former president of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) students union, was targeted after he launched a campaign to expose corruption and criminalisation of politics in Siwan.
Earlier this year, a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court sentenced three convicts to life imprisonment.
They were Kumar Jaiswal, Sheikh Munna and Illyas Warsi, all residents of Siwan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends