Lightning kills 17 in Bihar, over dozen injured
Patna: Seventeen people, including women and children, have been killed by lightning across Bihar since Tuesday, an official said Wednesday.
"Ten men, five women and two children have been killed by bolts of lightning in Bihar," said an official of the state Disaster Management Department.
Over a dozen people also sustained burn injuries.
Nawada district reported seven deaths, Nalanda four, Sheikhpura three, Gaya two and Patna one.
The state government has announced a compensation of Rs 1 lakh each for victims` kins.
Lightning strikes during the June-September monsoon season are common in Bihar.
Last month, over two dozen people were killed by lightning in north Bihar districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened