Lightning kills 17 in Bihar, over dozen injured
Patna: Seventeen people, including women and children, have been killed by lightning across Bihar since Tuesday, an official said Wednesday.
"Ten men, five women and two children have been killed by bolts of lightning in Bihar," said an official of the state Disaster Management Department.
Over a dozen people also sustained burn injuries.
Nawada district reported seven deaths, Nalanda four, Sheikhpura three, Gaya two and Patna one.
The state government has announced a compensation of Rs 1 lakh each for victims` kins.
Lightning strikes during the June-September monsoon season are common in Bihar.
Last month, over two dozen people were killed by lightning in north Bihar districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September