Lightning kills 20 in Bihar
Patna: At least 20 people, including women and children, have been killed by lightning across Bihar since Saturday, an official said.
"In the last 24 hours, at least 20 people, including three children and two women, have been killed by bolts of lightning across Bihar," an official of the state Disaster Management Department said.
Over a dozen people also sustained burn injuries.
Purnia district reported seven deaths, Nawada four, while Patna, Araria, Madhepura, Nalanda and Sheikhpura reported two deaths each.
The state government has announced a compensation of Rs 1 lakh each for victims` kins.
Lightning strikes during the June-September monsoon season are common in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon