LJP protests `media gagging` in Bihar
New Delhi: LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan and his supporters on Thursday courted arrest here demanding "restoration" of media freedom in Bihar.
The protesters, who had gathered at the Jantar Mantar, also burnt an effigy of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, accusing him of gagging media and undermining the freedom of the fourth estate.
Paswan alleged that media persons have not been able to express their views openly under Nitish Kumar`s regime and were harassed if they said anything against the state government.
"Unlike here in Delhi where every detail on Commonwealth Games scam is reported by the media, Nitish Kumar remains unscathed because of the way press has been gagged in the state," Paswan alleged.
Paswan extended support to Press Council Chairman Justice Markandey Katju for constituting a fact-finding team to look into complaints of violation of the freedom of press in Bihar and also demanded that the President order an inquiry into the
"We welcome Justice Katju`s move but we also want the President to direct an independent investigation into the matter. A delegation of party members would meet the President soon and apprise her on the situation," he said.
Katju has come down heavily on the Bihar government accusing it of harassing the media. He had said Nitish Kumar government`s alleged action against the press was a violation of the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video