LJP protests `media gagging` in Bihar
New Delhi: LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan and his supporters on Thursday courted arrest here demanding "restoration" of media freedom in Bihar.
The protesters, who had gathered at the Jantar Mantar, also burnt an effigy of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, accusing him of gagging media and undermining the freedom of the fourth estate.
Paswan alleged that media persons have not been able to express their views openly under Nitish Kumar`s regime and were harassed if they said anything against the state government.
"Unlike here in Delhi where every detail on Commonwealth Games scam is reported by the media, Nitish Kumar remains unscathed because of the way press has been gagged in the state," Paswan alleged.
Paswan extended support to Press Council Chairman Justice Markandey Katju for constituting a fact-finding team to look into complaints of violation of the freedom of press in Bihar and also demanded that the President order an inquiry into the
"We welcome Justice Katju`s move but we also want the President to direct an independent investigation into the matter. A delegation of party members would meet the President soon and apprise her on the situation," he said.
Katju has come down heavily on the Bihar government accusing it of harassing the media. He had said Nitish Kumar government`s alleged action against the press was a violation of the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!