LJP, RJD blame Bihar govt for rail tragedy
New Delhi: Blaming the state government for the Bihar rail tragedy that left 35 dead, both LJP and RJD on Monday demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and a high-level inquiry into the incident.
LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan, who hails from Khagaria district where the incident took place, slammed the chief minister for failing to visit the site given the gravity of the incident and providing quick relief to the victims.
"The accident has exposed the good governance of the state. The chief Minister should resign immediately and a high-level inquiry should be conducted into the incident," he told reporters outside Parliament.
Condoling the death of the pilgrims in the accident, Paswan and RJD leader Ram Kripal Yadav demanded a compensation of Rs 20 lakh for the next of the kin of the deceased.
At least 35 people were killed this morning after the speeding Rajyarani Express ran over a large number of `kanwarias` standing on the tracks at Dhamara Ghat Station in Khagaria district.
Paswan said the state government was aware of the large congregation of devotees at a temple close by but failed to take steps to control the crowd and referred to Minister of State for Railways Adhir Chowdhury`s statement in this regard.
Yadav, on the other hand, said no GRP personnel was there to avert the incident.
The LJP chief said by not going to the site, the chief minister has shown that he has little concern for the victims.
He said Kumar had neither visited the children who fell ill after consuming poisonous mid-day meal nor had paid respect to the martyred soldiers of the LoC firing when their bodies had arrived at Patna airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Uma Bharti silences Digvijay Singh, says Rahul Gandhi''s 'heart is burning'
- Market-cap of top 10 companies swells by Rs 98,598 cr, ITC biggest gainer
- Mika Singh opens up about making an appearance on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Railway conducts trial for high-speed Talgo trains
- Akshay Kumar has a special message for his fans in France! – Watch