Lok Sabha polls: Meira Kumar may battle two ex-IAS officers
Patna: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, a former IFS officer, may face two retired IAS officers in the Lok Sabha polls at Sasaram in Bihar.
Both the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) are keen to pit former bureaucrats against her.
The BJP is likely to field retired IAS officer Pancham Lal or Muni Lal in Sasaram.
The JD-U is likely to give ticket to K.P. Ramiya, an IAS officer who has sought voluntary retirement by the end of this month, leaders in both parties said.
Meira Kumar`s father, veteran Dalit leader Jagjivan Ram, represented Sasaram in the Lok Sabha for decades.
Muni Lal, a former union minister, was defeated by Meira Kumar in the 2009 Lok Sabha election when he was the BJP candidate.
Meira Kumar joined the IFS in 1973. She was elected from Sasaram in 2004 and 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Online counselling - The new strategy to lose weight?
- Dead Bangladesh-American suspect was friend of cafe attacker: Police
- China, Russia navies to hold drills in South China Sea: Beijing
- 2017 new Suzuki Swift sheds heavy camouflage! Check out the spy pics
- Two of Turkey's four-star generals resign a day after military cull: Report