Lok Sabha polls: Meira Kumar may battle two ex-IAS officers
Patna: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, a former IFS officer, may face two retired IAS officers in the Lok Sabha polls at Sasaram in Bihar.
Both the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) are keen to pit former bureaucrats against her.
The BJP is likely to field retired IAS officer Pancham Lal or Muni Lal in Sasaram.
The JD-U is likely to give ticket to K.P. Ramiya, an IAS officer who has sought voluntary retirement by the end of this month, leaders in both parties said.
Meira Kumar`s father, veteran Dalit leader Jagjivan Ram, represented Sasaram in the Lok Sabha for decades.
Muni Lal, a former union minister, was defeated by Meira Kumar in the 2009 Lok Sabha election when he was the BJP candidate.
Meira Kumar joined the IFS in 1973. She was elected from Sasaram in 2004 and 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?