Maharajganj by-poll: Cong alleges Nitish govt of `misusing` state machinery
Patna: The state unit of Congress on Monday alleged that the ruling JD(U)-BJP was "misusing" government machinery in Maharajganj by-poll and demanded the EC to deploy central forces at every booth on the day of election.
"We demand the Election Commission to deploy central forces on every booth in June 2 polling for Maharajganj by-elections," Congress Secretary and in-charge of party affairs Gurchain Singh Charak told reporters.
The Congress leader demanded adequate security for party leaders and workers who he alleged were being threatened by the ruling party in Maharajganj.
Asked to react on RJD President Lalu Prasad calling Congress candidate in Maharajganj as "vote katwa" (spoiler of votes), Charak disagreed and said "Congress does not believe in doing such things."
While JD(U) has fielded state education minister PK Shahi in Maharajganj, RJD nominee is Prabhunath Singh and Congress gave ticket to Jitendra Swami, son of former RJD MP Umashakar Singh whose death necessitated the by-poll.
Congress leaders and Union ministers RPN Singh and Jitendra Singh have already campaigned in Maharajganj, bordering with Uttar Pradesh, while Sachin Pilot and filmstar-turned Congress spokesman Raj Babbar would be canvassing for the party candidate soon, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mamata Banerjee wants West Bengal to be called ‘Bangla’: Report
- What a journey! Watch video that introduced US President Barack Obama at Democratic National Convention
- No newspapers, television for Arvind Kejriwal for 12 days in August - Know why
- Flood wrecks havoc in Bihar, Assam; more than 40 dead, lakhs affected
- Houthi rebels form Supreme Council to govern Yemen