Maharajganj by-poll: Cong alleges Nitish govt of `misusing` state machinery
Patna: The state unit of Congress on Monday alleged that the ruling JD(U)-BJP was "misusing" government machinery in Maharajganj by-poll and demanded the EC to deploy central forces at every booth on the day of election.
"We demand the Election Commission to deploy central forces on every booth in June 2 polling for Maharajganj by-elections," Congress Secretary and in-charge of party affairs Gurchain Singh Charak told reporters.
The Congress leader demanded adequate security for party leaders and workers who he alleged were being threatened by the ruling party in Maharajganj.
Asked to react on RJD President Lalu Prasad calling Congress candidate in Maharajganj as "vote katwa" (spoiler of votes), Charak disagreed and said "Congress does not believe in doing such things."
While JD(U) has fielded state education minister PK Shahi in Maharajganj, RJD nominee is Prabhunath Singh and Congress gave ticket to Jitendra Swami, son of former RJD MP Umashakar Singh whose death necessitated the by-poll.
Congress leaders and Union ministers RPN Singh and Jitendra Singh have already campaigned in Maharajganj, bordering with Uttar Pradesh, while Sachin Pilot and filmstar-turned Congress spokesman Raj Babbar would be canvassing for the party candidate soon, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Mauritius to remain major FDI source till March 2019: Experts
- Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI review committee on Rio debacle
- Now, WhatsApp to share your phone number with Facebook
- SHOCKING: Man performing stunt on high tension wire at Mumbai's Mira road station – Watch
- Bank of Baroda's total business takes Rs 90,000-crore hit in 2015-16