Maharajganj by-poll loss is not defeat of JD-U: Nitish Kumar
Patna: Losing the Maharajganj Lok Sabha by-election was not a JD-U defeat as the RJD had won the seat in 2009 and had now just retained it, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said on Thursday, a day after the results of Sunday`s polling were announced.
"It is not at all a defeat of the JD-U (Janata Dal-United) because it was an RJD (Rashtriya Janata Dal) seat and it retained it," Nitish Kumar, who arrived here from New Delhi where he attended the Chief Ministers` conference, told reporters.
The RJD, he said, had won the seat in 2009. "What is new in it? The RJD has again won it. It was not a JD-U seat," he said.
He also downplayed reports that the result was also a personal defeat.
"After victory, the RJD has a habit of boasting. We never do such a thing after victory. The JD-U had been winning in election after election."
He also ruled out any impact of the by-election result on the alliance between the JD-U and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
On Wednesday, JD-U candidate PK Shahi, who is also state education minister, said local BJP workers were responsible for his defeat as they did not cooperate with him.
RJD chief Lalu Prasad was quick to react to Nitish Kumar`s comments. "What should we do after a big win if not boast?"
He said the ruling JD-U had been defeated by the people.
RJD nominee Prabhunath Singh defeated his nearest rival Shahi by a margin of over 1.37 lakh votes, one of the highest winning margins in by-polls in the state in the last decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says