Maharajganj defeat won’t affect ties with BJP: Nitish
Patna: Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar on Thursday said the defeat of JD(U)) in Maharajganj bypoll has no bearing on the NDA alliance.
"Our alliance is intact...Members of coalition worked together in the Maharajganj by-election," Kumar said, dismissing suggestions of rift within NDA.
"NDA workers laboured hard sincerely in Maharajganj bypoll," he told reporters at Patna Airport on return from Delhi.
The defeated JD(U) candidate in Maharajganj P K Shahi had said yesterday that there was lack of enthusiasm among some NDA workers and lack of poll management which cost the poll.
This set the tongue waging that BJP workers did not worked hard for victory of Shahi due to JD(U)`s opposition to Narendra Modi which has resulted in bickering among leaders of the two NDA partners.
Nitish Kumar is chairman of NDA in Bihar and BJP leader and minister Nand Kishore Yadav is the convenor.
He said Maharajganj bypoll result was no cause of worry for him. "Maharajganj seat was with RJD which they have retained. There is nothing to go euphoric about it," he said.
On RJD president Lalu Prasad taking potshot at him on defeat of JD(U) candidate by over 1.37 lakh votes in Maharajganj, Kumar, who is senior JD(U) leader, said "Let RJD be on cloud nine...This jubilation is short lived."
Seeking to take virtue out of the defeat, he said, "Though we lost, the vote percentage of JD(U) has increased in the bypoll from that in last General election and Assembly elections in 2010."
"The JD(U) had won only 5 seats out of 18 Assembly seats in by-elections in 2009. But, the people voted JD(U) and BJP to a record victory in 2010 Assembly polls and RJD faced humiliating defeat," he said, seeking to playdown political impact on 2014 parliamentary elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi