Man ends life after being made to lick spit as punishment
Samastipur: A man, who was punished by the panchayat and made to lick the spit of the villagers off the ground in Bihar`s Samstipur district ended his life unable to bear the ignominy, police said on Saturday.
Ranjit Mahto(40) of Gorai village in Samstipur district committed suicide at his home yesterday. He was the sole bread winner of his family.
Samastipur superintendent of police Chandrika Prasad said that the faceoff between Mahto and the panchayat began when he had a fight with a village priest, Raj Kumar Jha of neighbouring Ranitola village during Dussehra for allegedly harassing his 17 year-old daughter.
A panchayat meeting, which was held to discuss the episode, held Mahto to be in the wrong and imposed a fine of Rs 21,000 on him. When he sought some leniency, some members of the panchayat suggested that he should lick their spit off the ground as a mark of appeasement.
Compelled to perform the demeaning act, the man consumed insecticide after returning home.
His wife in her complaint to the police said Mahto was taken to a nearby hospital but did not survive.
An FIR was lodged at Chak Mahsi police station of the district against six named accused and eight unknown based on her complaint, the SP said adding all of them are absconding.
Search is on to apprehend them.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Vodafone appoints six investment banks for $3 billion India IPO
- No takers for Kingfisher Airlines brand at online auction
- Uttarakhand forest fire: PMO assures help for relief work
- AgustaWestland row: Aam Aadmi Party to gherao Sonia Gandhi, PM Narendra Modi's residence on May 7
- Poll contest in Kerala heading from 'bi-polar' to 'tri-polar': Arun Jaitley