Mangal Pandey elected Bihar BJP Chief, CP Thakur`s supporters unhappy
Patna: Mangal Pandey, an aide of Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi, was today elected Bihar BJP chief even as supporters of outgoing president CP Thakur opposed refusal of a second term to the sulking leader.
Pandey, the sole contender for the post, was elected at the party`s state council meeting here attended by a galaxy of central and state leaders, including Thakur, whose supporters created ruckus and raised slogans at the airport for not giving a second term to the 81 year-old leader.
Thakur`s supporters shouted slogans against BJP in-charge of Bihar unit Anant Kumar and co-incharge Dharmendra Pradhan.
Pandey`s election was announced by Poll Officer Arti Mehra and was welcomed by hundreds of party workers.
Thakur, who had stayed away from the party office yesterday sulking at the central leadership`s decision not to grant him a second term, was among the senior BJP leaders to bless 44-year-old Pandey.
Others present were senior party leaders Ravi Shankar Prasad, Shatrughan Sinha, Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Syed Shahnawaz Hussain and several ministers in the NDA government in the state including Modi, besides Kumar and Pradhan.
BJP leaders appeared to have burnt the midnight oil to persuade Thakur to attend the state council meet for approval of Pandey`s election to send a message of unity within the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof