Mangal Pandey elected Bihar BJP Chief, CP Thakur`s supporters unhappy
Patna: Mangal Pandey, an aide of Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi, was today elected Bihar BJP chief even as supporters of outgoing president CP Thakur opposed refusal of a second term to the sulking leader.
Pandey, the sole contender for the post, was elected at the party`s state council meeting here attended by a galaxy of central and state leaders, including Thakur, whose supporters created ruckus and raised slogans at the airport for not giving a second term to the 81 year-old leader.
Thakur`s supporters shouted slogans against BJP in-charge of Bihar unit Anant Kumar and co-incharge Dharmendra Pradhan.
Pandey`s election was announced by Poll Officer Arti Mehra and was welcomed by hundreds of party workers.
Thakur, who had stayed away from the party office yesterday sulking at the central leadership`s decision not to grant him a second term, was among the senior BJP leaders to bless 44-year-old Pandey.
Others present were senior party leaders Ravi Shankar Prasad, Shatrughan Sinha, Rajiv Pratap Rudy, Syed Shahnawaz Hussain and several ministers in the NDA government in the state including Modi, besides Kumar and Pradhan.
BJP leaders appeared to have burnt the midnight oil to persuade Thakur to attend the state council meet for approval of Pandey`s election to send a message of unity within the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video