Maoists ambush Inter-City Express in Bihar, 3 GRP jawans killed
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: Three GRP jawans have been killed in a Naxal attack on a Sahebganj Inter-City train near Jamalpur station here, an official said on Saturday.
The incident took place when the Sahebganj-Danapur Inter-City train was passing through Munger, killing the three Government Railway Police (GRP) men onboard the train, besides looting five rifles from them.
According to a news report, a group of 08-10 Maoists ambushed the Inter-City train.
A group of 8 to 10 Maoists, which was travelling in Sahebganj-Patna Inter-City Express, opened fire in a ladies compartment as the train was between a railway tunnel and the the bridge at Ashikpur barely 900 yards away from Jamalpur railway station at around 1745 hours, Railway Superintendent of Police Amitabh Kumar Das said.
The Naxal attack left three escorting members of Bihar Military Police dead and two others injured, he added.
Meanwhile, Deputy Inspector General Sudhanshu Kumar said that the Sahebganj-Patna Intercity train was attacked by a group of armed Maoists between Jamalpur and Ratanpur.
The attack occurred around 200 km from Patna. It was not immediately clear how large the group of Maoists who attacked was.
The Maoists looted three INSAS rifles, a sten gun and an AK-47 besides 460 rounds of ammunition from the dead and injured personnel who were from the BMP-12 unit at Bhagalpur, Das said.
The Maoists escaped from the train at Passikhana after pulling the chain, where another group of Maoists was waiting beside the tracks, he said.
The three dead BMP personnel were Hawaldar Ashok Kumar and constables Bhola Thakur and Uday Singh. The injured were Md. Imtiyaz and Vinay Kumar, Das said.
Injured policemen Md. Imtiyaz said in Jamalpur that eight to ten Maoists were on the train.
When the train slowed down after the chain was pulled, the group of Maoists waiting beside the tracks stabbed him and another BMP man and snatched away and fired from their weapons, Imtiyaz said.
Munger Range DIG Sudhanshu Kumar went to the spot with security forces and launched a search operation.
The bodies of the slain BMP personnel were taken out of the train when it reached Jamalpur and the two others injured were hospitalised.
The ladies coach, in which the Maoist attack took place, was detached from the train which left at about 2030 hours.
In an another Naxal attack incident, two policemen were killed in a gunbattle with Maoists in Odisha`s Nuapada district.
The gunbattle took place when the rebels ambushed a team of policemen on Friday in Sunabeda sanctuary area, about 550 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
The personnel of CRPF, District Voluntary Force and special police officers retaliated who were carrying out an operation in dense forest near Datutola and Dhekunpani villages last evening.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!