Maoists attack train in Bihar, three killed
New Delhi/Patna: In an audacious daylight attack, suspected Maoists attacked a passenger train in Bihar`s Jamui district Thursday afternoon, killing a railway police personnel and two passengers, said police and the railway ministry.
"Three people including a constable of RPF (Railway Protection Force) and two passengers were killed in a Maoist attack on the Patna-bound inter-city train in Jamui," said Jamalpur Superintendent of Police (Rail) Amitabh Das.
A railway ministry statement confirmed the deaths.
Half a dozen people were injured in the attack, said Das, adding that the attackers fled with the weapons of two RPF personnel.
According to district police officials in Jamui, about 180 km from Patna, nearly 100 armed Maoists attacked the train between Bhului and Kunder railway halt. Jamui is considered a Maoist stronghold.
"Maoists stopped the train by forcibly applying the vacuum brake and opened indiscriminate fire in which two railway police personnel and some passengers were injured. Three of them, including a RPF personnel, succumbed to their injuries," said an official.
Additional Director General of Police S.K. Bhardwaj said in Patna that the Maoists also looted some ammunition and two rifles from the RPF personnel.
"The main motive of the Maoists` attack was to loot arms of the RPF escort party and they succeeded in their attempt," he said.
Bhardwaj expressed surprise over the Maoist attack on the train in broad daylight. "Maoists usually attack trains in the night but this time they attacked in the day," he said.
Bihar police chief Abhyanand has directed the rail police and district police of Jamui and neighbouring districts to launch combing operations against the Maoists.
Railway ministry sources in New Delhi said the suspected Maoists, in a bid to snatch the weapons of the RPF personnel on the 1331 Dhanbad-Patna inter-city train service, opened fire at them.
They said the security personnel returned the fire and a guard and a RPF constable were injured in the cross-firing.
The train, which was detained for around one hour and 15 minutes, had since moved towards its destination and rail traffic was normal on the route, said the sources.
Railway Minister C.P. Joshi said preliminary information indicated that it could be a Maoist attack, while Minister of State for Home R.P.N. Singh termed the attack as "unfortunate and dastardly".
Joshi announced an enhanced ex-gratia amount of Rs.5 lakh to the next of kin of those killed, Rs.1 lakh to a passenger who was grievously injured and Rs.25,000 each to four people (three passengers and train guard) who received minor injuries, said a statement.
He said contingents of paramilitary forces, including the Central Reserve Police and the Border Security Force, had been rushed to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow