Maoists kill 16 in Bihar, threaten CM
Khagaria: In the first ever carnage during the NDA regime led by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, 16 people were gunned down by suspected Maoist cadres in a village in Bihar`s Khagaria district late last night, a top police official said Friday.
"Around 100 people, suspected to be Maoists, armed with automatic weapons attacked the village Amosi Bharen Diara and fired indiscriminately late last night, killing 11 men and 5 children on the spot," Inspector General (Operations) SK Bharadwaj said.
According to police, the cultivation on the disputed 30 bighas of land is said to be reason behind the attack on the victims belonging to backward caste.
When contacted ADG Headquarters Neelmani said that the attack was carried out on the villagers by the suspected Naxalites with the intention of grabbing the land.
The victims, belonged to Amdaicharua village and had been living in the makeshift camps on the land for cultivation, he added.
"Senior police officials, IG Operations and IG Bhagalpur, are camping at the site and special task force had been deployed for combing operations in the riverine area to
nab them," Neelmani said, adding also, police patrolling has been increased as tension prevailed in the area.
Neelmani said bodies have been kept at Morkahi police station from where it would be sent to a government hospital for post-mortem
Nitish orders probe
today ordered an official inquiry into the carnage.
Kumar called a high-level meeting at his residence soon
after a ministerial team led by deputy chief minister S K Modi
visited the site in Amosi Bharen village and filed a report.
Chief secretary Anup Mukherjee, Director general of
Police Anand Shankar, Home department`s principal secretary
Amir Subhani and other senior officials also attended the
Kumar directed the officials to get the incident
"thoroughly probed" and take swift action for arresting the
"We have to take all-possible steps to bring the culprits
to book," Kumar reportedly said in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing