Maoists kill 16 in Bihar, threaten CM
Khagaria: In the first ever carnage during the NDA regime led by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, 16 people were gunned down by suspected Maoist cadres in a village in Bihar`s Khagaria district late last night, a top police official said Friday.
"Around 100 people, suspected to be Maoists, armed with automatic weapons attacked the village Amosi Bharen Diara and fired indiscriminately late last night, killing 11 men and 5 children on the spot," Inspector General (Operations) SK Bharadwaj said.
According to police, the cultivation on the disputed 30 bighas of land is said to be reason behind the attack on the victims belonging to backward caste.
When contacted ADG Headquarters Neelmani said that the attack was carried out on the villagers by the suspected Naxalites with the intention of grabbing the land.
The victims, belonged to Amdaicharua village and had been living in the makeshift camps on the land for cultivation, he added.
"Senior police officials, IG Operations and IG Bhagalpur, are camping at the site and special task force had been deployed for combing operations in the riverine area to
nab them," Neelmani said, adding also, police patrolling has been increased as tension prevailed in the area.
Neelmani said bodies have been kept at Morkahi police station from where it would be sent to a government hospital for post-mortem
Nitish orders probe
today ordered an official inquiry into the carnage.
Kumar called a high-level meeting at his residence soon
after a ministerial team led by deputy chief minister S K Modi
visited the site in Amosi Bharen village and filed a report.
Chief secretary Anup Mukherjee, Director general of
Police Anand Shankar, Home department`s principal secretary
Amir Subhani and other senior officials also attended the
Kumar directed the officials to get the incident
"thoroughly probed" and take swift action for arresting the
"We have to take all-possible steps to bring the culprits
to book," Kumar reportedly said in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves